-18 Jan, 2017
What do we know about universal accessibility? Universal accessibility means much more than being able to put a wheelchair on the bus or that a vision impaired person can cross a crosswalk because of the beeps that the traffic light emits when it turns green.
For the time being, the city is at the beginning of the process to make the Universal Accessibility Plan 2018-2026 a reality, to which a budget of 847,000 euros has been awarded. Work is being done on the diagnostic phase, from which they will obtain very interesting data to identify the situation in which the city is located and thus, decide where to move forward.
These collected data is linked to different areas of the city, such as public transport stops, libraries, sports centers, markets, schools, health centers, civic centers, etc.
- 8.13% of the Barcelona citizens (132,133 citizens) have some type of disability.
- 54% of these are women and 46% are men.
- 51.3% are people over 65 years old.
- In both sexes, physical motor disability predominates, but in the case of women, the mental one goes on, and in the case of men, non-motor physical disability.
- In addition, there are other disabilities such as visual, intellectual, and auditory that are less significant in both sexes.
Bus Stops Plan.
The Bus Stops Plan is the first of the occupation plan that was carried out in 2017 with the collaboration of Barcelona Activa. This plan has served to collect data at public bus stops and in addition, to see the requirements they meet, to be able to propose improvement proposals.
Zicla and universal accessibility.
The access of citizens to transport in a comfortable and safe way is a vital point within the universal accessibility that is intended to be achieved. It is for this reason that the installation of platforms to improve accesibility at bus stops, such as the Vectorial systems designed and manufactured by Zicla, contributes to achieving this goal.
The advantage of these platforms, in addition to improving accessibility and safety on public roads, is that they are manufactured from recycled and recyclable materials.