|PROJECT NAME:||Expansion of the bike lane network in Sant Andreu|
|TOWN/CITY:||Barcelona – Spain|
|LOCATION:||Carrer Ciutat d’Asunción|
|OPENING DATE:||June 2017|
Barcelona City Council’s commitment to increase bike journeys continues to meet targets. They have considerably increased in the last few years and it is estimated that there are currently more than 165,000 cycle movements in the city every day. In order to maintain this tendency, and as part of its Urban Mobility Plan 2013-2018, the City Council implemented a set of measures aimed at giving greater priority to pedestrians and cyclists, encouraging the use of public transport, and reducing private vehicle use. Undoubtedly a key measure was the decision to expand the city bike lane network.
In 2017, as part of the plan mentioned above, the expansion of the bike lane network in Sant Andreu was opened, including the bike lane running along Carrer Sant Adrià (between Carrer Ferran Junoy and Carrer Ciutat d’Asunción) and the one along Carrer Ciutat d’Asunción (between Carrer Sant Adrià and Passeig de l’Havana).
Need and project objectives.
One of the basic needs justifying the project was the requirement for a bike lane connecting the Sant Andreu and Bon Pastor districts. The aim of the City Council and, therefore, the project, was, firstly, to meet this need and, secondly, to continue expanding the city’s network of bike lanes.
The proposed solution.
The proposed solution was the construction of a segregated two-way bike lane along the center of Carrer d’Asunción, using ZICLA Zipper® system modules. This system is modular and its modules can be installed continuously or discontinuously making it possible to build multiple configurations.
The main characteristics of the Zipper® system are:
- It can be adapted to any kind of road, particularly avenues.
- It is highly visible thanks to the fact that almost 50% of the surface of its modules is reflective.
- Its modules are made with recycled plastic and they are recyclable because their environmental impact is minimal. It is an ecodesigned product.
- It is competitive because it allows a project to be implemented quickly with minimal intervention on the public thoroughfare.
- Its modules are highly resistant to impact and bad weather and they have four anchorage points in the road surface.
- It can be customized, as the modules can be painted different colors.
The extra value of the project.
The added advantage of this bike lane is that it has generated a fast, safe cycle connection between the Sant Andreu district and the working-class district of Bon Pastor, which has traditionally suffered communication problems.