The great change experienced in the sector of the management of Vehicles Out of Use (VOU) is a direct consequence of an increasingly demanding legislation. Until recently, it was enough to have land on rural land and a metal fence to create a scrap yard. There was no decontamination, cars were stacked and there was no control so that VOU fluids did not contaminate the soil. Today, this is inconceivable and there are very clear directives to follow.
Authorized treatment centers for out-of-use vehicles.
Vehicles out of use current regulations provide that VOU must be delivered to an authorized treatment center (ATC) whose facilities must be approved, that is, must meet all technical and environmental requirements, and is responsible for extending the so-called “Certificate of Destruction or Decontamination”, essential to permit to cancel the vehicle in the Traffic Registry.
Objective and scope of the project.
The objective of the project was to offer the customer, a logistics company, a diagnosis of the market situation of the treatment of the out-of-use vehicle (VOU) in the context created by the new regulatory framework proposed in the EU by the European Directive 2000/53 and its corresponding transposition at the state level (Royal Decree 1383/02 of December 20, 2002) and the Autonomous Communities.
The project covered the management of out-of-use vehicles, hereinafter VOU, which belonged to the following categories:
Results of the project.
CHARACTERIZATION OF THE CURRENT MANAGEMENT OF VFU.
- Legal framework that regulates the management of VOU at EU, state and Autonomous Community levels.
- Actors that public and private involved in operations: integrated management systems, vehicle manufacturers, administrations …
- Authorized VOU treatment centers.
- Treatment of VOU: decontamination, removal of reusable components, storage and compaction, fragmentation, recycling of the metal part and other fractions.
MARKET STUDY ASSOCIATED WITH VOU.
- Most important companies that are currently engaged in the treatment of VOUs in Spain.
- Features: dimensions, billing, groups to which they belong.
- Way of operation.
- Quantification of the recoverable fractions and rejection arising from the treatment.
- Analysis of the commercialization alternatives for each of these fractions and sub-fractions.
- Sales prices and expected income.
- Possible scenarios.